Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Plastic shower curtain as toxic?

Ok, this is weird, I never thought of the "new plastic smell" on plastic to be toxic? Ever smell that oh so plasticky smell like when you buy a shower curtain? I just read somewhere online that that smell is "toxic soup of phthalates, organotins, toluene, xylene, ethylbenzene, methyl isobutyl ketone and a bunch of other chemicals that can cause headaches, nausea, and liver, central nervous system, respiratory and reproductive system damage." Woah! I don't think I am ever going to put my nose in any new plastic thing! 

This now really gets me thinking about what other plastic things that have this new smell are not safe: IE: new children's toys that have that smell...oh dear...will need to pay more close attention when buying toys for my children..

No comments:

Post a Comment